Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Trip to Singapore's Chinatown

I took a trip out to Chinatown last Friday and I can't believe I didn't indulge in any of the yummy food being served there. Geez, what's up with me? Well, i got distracted with trying on wigs that's what. Then it proceeded to pour like crazy and I decided that I would feel best at home.

To make up for that trip, we went back there on Sunday and this time indulged in some yummy food at the food court at People's Park Complex.  Oh and we picked up cheap toiletries here too.  Dan also managed to score a couple of sunglasses from one of the shops at the market near Sago lane. One of which looked like it had been in the store for over 20 years. It looked too weird to pass up and I think it's pretty cool.

Danjel was wearing his favorite, dingy wifebeater which warranted much teasing from me :) I told him he looked just like one of those Chinatown ah-peks ("uncles"). Speaking of these "Ah Peks", we saw quite a number of them at the hawker center right in Chinatown (the one above the market) drinking beers and surrounded by young women. Of course, the imaginary scenarios we were conjuring up together were probably funnier than what was actually happening. We might have been discussing a little too loudly because the beer drinking "ah pek" next to us told us proudly " here, lots of girls, from China, Thailand, Philippines, ..." plus more but I couldn't really hear or understand him. Is this even legal? Or safe? Are the women holding only tourist visas?? I don't know I mean it's all really quite sketchy but sure makes for an interesting Sunday afternoon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment